Clinton Community Bible Church
Statement of Faith
1. We believe that the Bible is made up of sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, is the verbally inspired Word of God, inerrant in the original writings and being infallible constitutes a court from which there is no appeal (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:21; 1 Corinthians 2:13)
2. We believe in one triune God, eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – co-eternal in being, co-identical in nature, co-equal in power and glory and having the same attributes and perfections (Genesis 1:1-26; Matthew 28:19-20; John 10:30; Romans 1:7; Hebrews 1:8; Acts 5:3-4; 2 Corinthians 13:14).
We believe the following regarding the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ:
1. That Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, became man without ceasing to be God, having been conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, in order that He might reveal God and redeem sinful man (Matthew 3:16-17; John 17:5; Phil. 2:5-6; Matthew 1:18; Galatians 4:4).
2. That Jesus Christ accomplished our redemption through His death on the cross as a representative, vicarious, substitutionary sacrifice; and that our justification is fully attested by His literal, physical resurrection from the dead (Romans 5:8; Galatians 1:4; Ephesians 5:2; Revelations 1:5; Romans 5:1; 1 Corinthians 15:3-8; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Luke 24:36-42).
3. That Jesus Christ ascended to Heaven and is now exalted at the right hand of God where, as our High Priest, He fulfills the ministry of intercessor and advocate (Acts 1:11; Luke 24:51; Hebrews 4:14; 7:25; 9:24; 1 John 2:1; 1 Timothy 2:5; Romans 8:34).
4. That the Lord Jesus will return, and that His return will be in two phases:
A. His return in the air for His Church is imminent and premillennial (Acts 1:11; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 4:13-18; Revelations 20:1-16).
B. His return to the earth with His Church in a physical, visible, and glorious manner, at which time He will sit on David’s throne in the Millennial Kingdom and reign in righteousness and justice over all the nations (Luke 1:32; Zechariah 14:4-11; Isaiah 9:6, 7; Revelations 19:11-16).
5. We believe the following concerning the person and work of the Holy Spirit:
That the Holy Spirit is a Person who convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment: and that He is the Supernatural Agent in regeneration. We further believe that there is one baptism with the Spirit, and it is into the Body of Christ, indwelling and sealing each believer unto the day of redemption. Pentecost is an historical event and is not to be repeated, therefore, we do not accept the teaching that speaking in tongues is associated with either the initial receiving of the Holy Spirit or as the evidence of His fullness (John 1:32-34, 3:3-6, 16:8-11; Acts 4:31; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 1:13-14; 5:18-20).
That He is the Divine Teacher who guides believers into all truth: and that it is the privilege and responsibility of all believers to be filled with the Holy Spirit (John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:9-12; Acts 13:9-52; Ephesians 5:18).
6. We believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God, but that in Adam’s sin the race, fell, inherited a sinful nature and became alienated from God: and that man is totally depraved and, of himself, utterly unable to remedy his lost condition (Genesis 1:26, 27; Ecclesiastes 7:29; Romans 3:23; 5:12-19; Isaiah 59:2; Ephesians 2:2-5, 12).
7. We believe that salvation is the gift of God brought to man by grace and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, that all who receive Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God. We believe that all the redeemed are kept by God’s power. We also believe that God’s Word clearly forbids the use of Christian liberty as an occasion to give license to the flesh (Ephesians 2:8, 9; Titus 3:5; Acts 16:31; Romans 10:13; John 3:3-6; 5:24; 10:27-30; Galatians 5:15; 1 Peter 1:18-23; 25; Romans 6:1-4, 11-13).
8. We believe that all believers should live in such a manner as not to bring reproach upon our Savior and Lord; and, that separation from all religious apostasy, all worldly and sinful pleasures, practices, and associations is commanded by God (Romans 6; Ephesians 4:1, 22-24; 5:8-11; Galatians 5:16; 2 Corinthians 6:14-18; Thessalonians 2:12; 1 John 2:15-17).
9. We believe that the “Great Commission” of our Lord Jesus Christ to give the Gospel to every creature throughout the world is still incumbent on every believer (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:13-15).
10. We believe that there are only two genders male and female (Genesis 1:27; Matthew 19:4; Mark 10:6) and we also believe that marriage should only be between man and woman (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:7-8)
11. We believe that Satan is a person, and the author of sin and the cause of the fall; that he is the open and declared enemy of God and man, and that he shall be eternally punished in the lake of fire (Genesis 3:1-13; Job 1:8; Ezekiel 28:15; Revelations 12:10; 20:10; 1 Peter 5:8).
We believe the following regarding the eternal state:
We believe the Scriptures teach that all those who through faith are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ will spend eternity in full enjoyment of God’s presence and that those who through impenitence and unbelief refuse to accept God’s offer of mercy will spend eternity in everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:46; John 3:16, 18, 36; 10:28, 39; Romans 3:24; 5:1; 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18; John 5:28, 29; Revelations 20:11-15).